Sunday 31 October 2010

Welcome to the Creative Interaction module

Friday 29th October 2010

We have moved on to a new module called Creative Interaction, it is worth 30 credits and submission is on 25th January 2011.

Because I work during the morning, Monday to Friday, I, unfortunately, had to miss the Introduction for this module. The Briefing session took place at 10am on Monday 25th October.

I had a tutorial late yesterday afternoon, so now have an idea of how to proceed but am also a little behind in my initial research for the meeting next Monday afternoon.

The theme word for this module is Applications – so I now need to get on with some research.

I need to consider what or how the word ‘applications’ would apply to the world of Interior Design and Wallpaper Design, and also any historical and contextual references to applications.

Sunday 31st October 2010

Yesterday I moved this module along by looking up the definitions of applications; obviously dictionaries describe the word application in the singular rather than the plural. I found two explanations, in Chambers Encyclopedic English Dictionary (1994), which will be useful in relation to Surface Pattern Design…

application noun the act of putting something on to a surface; the thing put on to a surface.’

appliqué noun decoration for clothes, fabric, etc, in which material is cut into shapes which are sewn on to the clothes, etc, to make patterns and designs. [from French appliqué, applied]’

So my starting place for researching Applications was appliqué as this is literally something applied. I will also consider all wall and floor coverings as applications as they are applied to surfaces… patterns as applications when applied to wallcoverings, rugs, tiles, soft furnishings…colours as applications when applied to pattern designs…the problem, may be, knowing where to stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment