Monday 14 February 2011

Lack of Focus!

Well, I think maybe I’m a little pre-occupied by my impending stay in hospital, because I am having great difficulty staying focused on anything at the moment.

Tomorrow I am meeting Michael so that he can brief me on the Realisation module, so I really wish I was in a more positive place and therefore able to tell Michael what I plan to achieve during the module – but I’m not. Whilst I’m in university tomorrow I plan to take a piece of acoustic foam with me and visit Julian in the workshops – I’m hoping that Julian will have the time to use the laser cutting machine on the acoustic foam to find out how well it cuts. The ease with which the foam cuts may help me to decide upon a direction for this module, although I still haven’t tried dyeing the foam!

Having done so much research into acoustics it would be very satisfying to do something with the information I’ve gathered during the Realisation module, but not if the final product has no aesthetic value because, after all, I wish to design surface patterns rather than purely functional objects.

I have looked in to coloured acoustic foam and it only appears to be coloured as part of a finished object e.g. a tile, rather than sheets of the material to be bought and worked with. But, at the same time, the fact that manufacturers produce an end product made of coloured acoustic foam implies that there is a method of colouring it.

http://kestrel-acoustics.com/acousticfoam.htm consulted on 7/2/11

In the meantime I have been working on images that could be used in the logo design for Whimsy & Quirk. I thought it might be interesting to have a few alternative designs rather than only one… but I haven’t made a final decision yet. As a starting place I have been using a circle as a template and just filling the space with different finishes and images. I have found this very therapeutic and have filled several circles, I have even been playing with overlaying one with another…






Some of the images work better than others but it may be possible to develop some of them into wallpaper/stencil/cushion cover designs too. I will be continuing with this whilst I’m ‘temporarily out of action’!

No comments:

Post a Comment