Tuesday 1 February 2011

Hmmmmm!

We haven’t been briefed for the Realisation module, but I have decided to start thinking about what I hope and plan to achieve during the module. 

To begin this process I have been having a brain dump! I am a little confused because I have been researching and thinking about acoustics during my Creative Interaction module and I am unsure as to whether I wish to continue with that or return to my hand-printed wallpapers.

So, brain dump…

1.    Logo Design.
I wish to design a logo for Whimsy & Quirk (http://whimsyandquirk.blogspot.com/). The logo I have been using was just a temporary design and now it is time to give serious consideration to a definitive logo. This must be achieved in preparation for business cards etc are dealt with.

2.    Acoustic absorbers.
I need to establish answers to some questions in order to make decisions upon whether to move forward with this. a) is it possible to obtain acoustic foam in a variety of colours or only grey? b) is it possible to dye acoustic foam? I will have to attempt this if there are no other colours apart from grey. Further to these questions, and if I am continuing with this topic, I need to 1) find images of acoustically designed restaurants 2) reflect upon styles of interior and how to approach a combination of acoustics and spatial design for different restaurant styles 3) think about sharper and more contemporary patterns/images for use in the design of restaurant interiors – flowers aren’t always appropriate!

3.    Research up-cycling and recycling.
Another consideration for the Realisation modules is stencilling my own upholstery fabrics, making some 3d appliqué cushion covers and ‘tarting up’ old furniture. I have an old Lloyd Loom chair that I could start with.

4.    Manufacture of frames.
As part of my exercise in considering my options I am also considering making canvases based upon hand stencilled fabrics and 3-d appliqué, but for this I have to be able to obtain frames…or do I want to make them sound absorbers?

Further to these questions and considerations that I also need to give attention to such as 1) if I make canvases would it be worth putting a layer of acoustic wadding behind the fabric to absorb surplus sound? In what depth sizes is it available? 2) which textiles will work well with making canvas art? And which will paint well? hessian? wool felt? canvas? calico? I may need to do more experimentation. 3) what are the best fabric paints to use? in what size containers are they available? What are the different fixing methods available?

So, what am I doing for Realisation? Am I still doing hand-printed wallpapers? appliqué? furniture? canvases? or acoustics? I need to decide and then get on with it, as a matter of some urgency!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment