Monday, 15 August 2011


Well I have been busy working on painting stencils and sweeties all weekend, and it looks as though I may be doing the same for the rest of the week! Progress is very slow due to a combination of a) quantity of things that need doing b) waiting for layers of paint to dry. I had hoped to go to the Print Workshop on campus and get some screen printing done, but at this moment my hopes are fading fast.

I went in to uni last Wednesday to collect my ‘Squares’ stencils but… I hadn’t allowed enough support within the design and it looks more like a retro form of decorative hanging rather than a functional stencil!

Anyway, Julian has gone on holiday this week, but I did manage to re-draw my stencil and get it to Julian in time for him to cut it before going on holiday – phew! The new stencil has 4 joints instead of only one; this will keep each of the squares in place. So I will pick that up on Wednesday when I go in for the next Exhibition meeting.

I have now made a final decision on the base for the sweetie lamp, after a great deal of thinking about it – I hadn’t been happy with how I had been planning to lay the sweeties out, everything had seemed too heavy. The new layout has only three colours and is much simpler in shape…

The sweeties will form a spiral when they have been properly joined, which will be at the same time that it is wired up. Once it has been wired up I will take it into the Athena Building at uni to have it PAT tested. It makes sense to have done this before adding a lampshade.

The sweetie table, which I am making for the AD11 exhibition, is coming along slowly. I now have a table top, which has been reduced in size to 600mm across. The original had been 750mm across and it was far too wide and liable to get knocked over. I have been trying to work out how to create a base to the pedestal of the table, which is wide enough to avoid imbalance…

So, this is how I will put the pedestal together… obviously I need to get on with filling, sanding and painting in the meantime or it will never be finished! So I think that is enough writing and time to get busy with the paint brush…

p.s. only managed to change one item to red on the panic list so far!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment